If you have a dog, we have all had to deal with this at one stage or another but here is some interesting information!

The fact is, dog poo is contaminated with bacteria and can be harmful to humans. Did you know a single gram of dog faeces contains an average of 23 million faecal coliform bacteria? You definitely don’t want to put it on your vegetable garden or want it in your house. After reading the startling information below you won’t want it hanging out in your yard either – you’ll think twice about rolling in the grass at the park too.

Diseases passed to humans from animals are called zoonoses. According to PetEducation.com animal faeces are one of the most common sources of parvo virus, whipworms, hookworms, roundworms, giardia and coccidia. They say the best way to prevent these, is to remove faeces at least weekly (more often if possible) and keep current on your dog’s vaccinations, faecal examinations, and deworming. Certainly it should be removed before mowing or any garden active is undertaken. If poo is pulverized by the mower into powder it can be or absorbed (inhaled/skin/eyes…etc…) by anyone with in a large radius including people in adjacent properties. It can also be transited to other innocent parties by the operator’s cloths, skin or equipment.

Also, pick up waste before a rain which breaks up or scatters the faeces and allows the worms or germs to spread into the environment. When infected roundworm droppings are left on the ground to deteriorate, the eggs of the roundworms and other parasites can linger in the soil for years. As a result, anyone who comes in contact with the soil also comes in contact with the infected eggs.

Children are at the highest risk for infection because they are playing in the grass or dirt and then putting their hands in their eyes and mouth, but anyone is susceptible. According to a zoonosis expert Dr. Lawrence T. Glickman, VMD, DrPH, professor of veterinary epidemiology and environmental health at Purdue University School of Veterinary Medicine, West Lafayette, Ind. said in an article found in WebMD an estimated 4%-20% of U.S. kids get roundworm from dogs and cats. Symptoms include fever, coughing, asthma, and/or pneumonia. Once in a while, the tiny worms enter the eye and scar the retina. This results in permanent partial vision loss. This is particular likely if wastes this pulverized by the mower and turned into a powder.   Some 750 to 1,500 kids go blind each year with roundworm infection [of the eyes] passed from dogs through faeces to children, Glickman says.

The WebMD article goes on to explain other diseases people can get from dog faeces such as, Campylobacter infection, this germ causes gastrointestinal symptoms. It’s usually not dangerous, but can cause severe illness in people with weakened immune systems. Another disease is Salmonella infection, people get this often-severe gastrointestinal infection via contact with animal faeces. It can cause severe kidney damage to young children.

Share

Comment: (1)

commenter
kev

May 16, 2017 | Reply

oh my god, we didn’t know.

leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *